Defense Against Mugs and Holds – The Self Defense Company

Defense Against Mugs and Holds

Home Forums Welcome to the Legion! Defense Against Mugs and Holds

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Sometimes you make the mistake of letting people get too close, in this case you must react quickly and effectively since you don’t have the luxury of time and distance

Module 4 Defense Against Mugs and Holds includes:
      Combative combinations:
      1. Short Edge of Hand, Hand Yoke, Knee
      2. Shin kick, ear box/eye gouge, knee
      3. From the rear, Shin scrape and stomp. Low elbow high elbow to finish (
      4. Extreme Close range
      * Elbow Spike
      * Reeling Elbows
      * Double forearm Shiver
      * Front Head Butt
      5. Single hand grabs. Wrist, arm collar and throat
      6. Double hand grabs, Front choke and collar grabs
      7. Front Tackle
      8. Body grabs From the Front
      9. Front bear hug arms trapped
      10. Rear bear hug
      11. Rear bear hug, when
      13. Rear naked strangle
      14. Head lock
      15. Single hand grab from rear
      16. Double wrist grab from rear
      17. Hair Grab
      18. How to properly seize the testicles

I read that you don’t need a partner to train with when it comes to training with the Self Defense Company and that you use a BOB dummy and stuff like that. Now obviously the BOB dummy doesn’t move and unlike an average human, a BOB can’t put the hold on you for you to defend against. How exactly do you train to defend yourself against grabs and holds without an actual human putting them on you? Just thought I’d ask.

Alias

Alias, this is a great question and it actually taps into the problem with all self defense programs.

WHY ARE YOU FOCUSING ON THE HOLD? Attack the man attack the man, attack the man.

The grab or hold pre-empts the strike. Take a collar grab for instance, is the grab REALLY the attack or is it the stab, head butt or punch afterward?

When your train in most systems you;re taught to wait. Wait until your partner grabs you, wait until he attacks you. Well, as you know, when someone get’s too close to you you need to react with out any regard for your training partner.

Now I will say that in a body grab situation like a bear hug, q partner will help in developing balance and stability, but THAT IS IT. Once you get your balance, you attack with any tool that’s it. The SDTS trains you to do what ever is needed to take gain the tactical advantage.

Once you discover how to break everything down to position and distance and train so that your reaction is instinctive and convulsive, you can be put in ANY situation and react effectively.

We must avoid the specific defense mistake. If someone grabs your wrist, sleeve, collar, throat the SDTS show you how to react in one way.

When someone grabs you from the front or the rear, arms trapped, not trapped- you react in one way.

Not only are you training to be grabbed, working with the BOB at close range allows you to develop the correct reaction to anyone who gets close to you. In a perfect world you would want enough distance between you and your target to react accordingly. When you train with a partner you develop a bad habit of waiting.

When we teach at the Center, it is always on the pads and the training dummies FIRST. We supplement partner training, but we have to go half speed because people are trained to knock someone’s block off.

This brings me to the martial arts issue of “control”. When we used to train in the old Tae Kwon Do days, we were praised for controlling our technique and seeing how close we could come with out actually hitting.

It looked great for demos, but in 1988 I found my self in a situation where I hit a guy in the body and it had little affect. I looked at my training and I realized that because I was practicing to pull my punches on human partners, that’s what I did in real life.

At that point I started makiwara and heavy bag work and started “sparring” in bogu (traditional style protective equipment). This way I could hit for real without hurting my training partners.

For self defense you need to practice all out, 100%. Anything less leaves opportunity for failure.

Damian

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.