155 SURVIVE Bird Strike – The Self Defense Company

155 SURVIVE Bird Strike

Home Forums Self Defense Current Events and Culture 155 SURVIVE Bird Strike

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Before you ask what module the bird strike is on….you won’t find it. For those of us not familiar with the term, a bird strike is when a group of our hapless feathered friends get sucked into the turbines of a jet engine. The result is usually bad for both the birds and the plane.

Yesterday, January 15th, Flight 1549 crashed into the Hudson River after being struck by a flock of birds. What is amazing is that nobody was even injured. All 155 passengers, pilot and crew were rescued from the frigid water.

Keep in mind, the hudson river current is brutal in some areas. Several years ago an NYPD officer as lost while making a water rescue training film.

The pilot, Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger III, did an incredible job bringing the plane in to land in one piece. The general consensus is that the aircraft will come apart when it hits the water.

Preparation, training come when you least expect it. This was a routine flight to North Carolina. 155 people can say they are alive because one person did what they were taught.

The full articel here: https://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/hu … ane_crash/

Damian

Having spent 20 years in the Air Force as a survival instuctor and life support expert, and teaching ditching exercises I can appreciate just how perfect that landing had to be. It’s a matter of inches not feet. Sometimes less than inches. And then getting everyone out alive as quickly as they did. Truly amazing. Not enough can be said about realistic training. Train like you fight or ditch.

When I first heard about this incident, I thought I’ll bet this guy was an Air Force fighter pilot….those guys have nerves of steel.

Dan

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.