BOOM! Just Ordered my BOB... – The Self Defense Company

BOOM! Just Ordered my BOB…

Home Forums Welcome to the Legion! BOOM! Just Ordered my BOB…

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      James Goolsby
      Participant

Just ordered my BOB. Thank God for payday. Got a pretty good deal on Amazon: New @ $185 and free shipping. Should be here in a week or so. All I got to say now is…

If your hand hurts, it’s a BOB; if your hand really hurts, it’s a BRICK! Laugh

Good job James. I’m working on getting mine. I have been noticing that using the wave master is great but I think the shape and likeness of BOB is just way better IMO than the wm. If you don’t mind where did you find one that cheap. The lowest I have found one was $225.

James Goolsby
      Participant

Archie,

I got it off Amazon. Here’s the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00329TVEM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One note, though. I am an Amazon Prime member so that’s how I scored the free shipping. Otherwise the price is good.

Hope this helps. Smile

Nice. Thanks [James Goolsby] now to get my funds up a lil and order it.

James Goolsby
      Participant

No problem, my friend; glad I could help.

J

Terry Davis
      Participant

I just ordered a BOB XL, Wavemaster 2XL Pro and a Hydrocore Bag XL from Century Martial Arts. The price is about the same as what I can find on Amazon. I have an account with Century. The order should be in the end of this week or the first of next week. Oklahoma City isn’t that far from Austin. I might miss delivery if I am out on the road. Maybe I can get a neighbor to sign for it. I need to clean out some space to put the bags!

James Goolsby
      Participant

Nice, Terry. You should definitely be able to drill hard with all that. My next “investment” is going to be one of the grappling dummies so I can work Mod 3 like a beast! Smile

Terry Davis
      Participant

@James Goolsby said:

Nice, Terry. You should definitely be able to drill hard with all that. My next “investment” is going to be one of the grappling dummies so I can work Mod 3 like a beast! Smile

I will get one, also, Hapkido is one of the Martial Arts I study.

https://www.spartanequip.com/products/maximus/

https://www.centurymartialarts.com/Training_Bags/Fight_Simulators/Century_Versys_VS2_Fight_Simulator_10185.aspx

https://www.centurymartialarts.com/Training_Bags/Fight_Simulators/Century_Versys_VS_one_Fight_Simulator_10184RE.aspx

To make BOB more versatile, I want to see if another bag will slide down the shaft on the base below BOB’s torso. The would allow leg strikes.

@Terry Davis said:

@James Goolsby said:

To make BOB more versatile, I want to see if another bag will slide down the shaft on the base below BOB’s torso. The would allow leg strikes.

You could always get a Muay Thai pad or some type of foam and strap it on there. I took some left over carpet padding and wrapped the post under my wave master and taped it down with duct tape… Works like a charm, oh and a furniture dolly for the added realism of movement.

So far I have the extra cash to get a BOB but of course rent due tomorrow so gotta see what I can do Saturday I want one so bad. I’m killing the wave master.

James Goolsby
      Participant

That’s the idea, guys. I got myself a bungee cord and just strapped my kicking shield onto the base post. I’m a smaller guy — only 5’8″ — and most people are taller than me, so I set BOB up to reflect that (I think he’s at about 6′ give or take right now). That left plenty of room at the base for the shield.

Having said that, it does move around a bit, so I may give Archie’s carpet padding idea a try. Still working on getting the dolly, though Smile

Keep it up. Everyone is doing great. Train hard and stay safe.

j

Terry Davis
      Participant

My “stuff” came in. Unfortunately, I got in late on Saturday and I have to head out on Sunday. That didn’t leave me much time to do more than to take everything out of the boxes and semi-set it up. I haven’t filled them with water yet.

How about a tract on the ceiling running a few feet or more with a rope or elastic band attached to the top of the bag. You can attack it and it would slide along like in real life?

[Joe Landry] built one for his heavy bag and Everlast used to make a track called The Stalker. You can find an apparatus on line or have Joe make you one.

Terry Davis
      Participant

I wonder how well a trash can dolly will work? It is round, it has five wheels and can handle 350 lbs. I think I am going to buy one and see if it can be adapted to Mr. BOB. I’ll let you know!

James Goolsby
      Participant

Nice. Hadn’t thought of that, Terry, but in theory it seems like it should work. Definitely let us know how the test goes.

Thanks.

Terry Davis
      Participant

Even I can come up with some good ideas, occasionally! In theory, it sounds good, in practice, we’ll see. I went to Home Depot earlier. They had only one dolly. It has a raised center portion where the trash can screws on. I have a BOB XL, it has a thin flat base. Good for the floor, maybe not so good if isn’t fully supported by the dolly. I think I will wait to get a larger diameter dolly so it isn’t likely to tip over. I’ll continue the search and I’ll let you know.

Terry Davis
      Participant

I found, online, a Rubbermaid Universal Drum Dolly. It has a diameter of 24 3/4″ diameter. That is slightly larger than the base on BOB, I can cut slits in the base with my Dremel Tool and secure the base to the dolly with webbing, or find a damaged BOB that I can cut the base off of and secure that base to the dolly with epoxy and just drop my good BOB into the cut BOB base. I’m full of ideas.

Does anyone have a trashed BOB base with the bottom and say a foot of the side wall that is still good?

Terry Davis
      Participant

I found the dolly on Ebay, half what it was listed elsewhere, so I jumped all over it. It should be in next Tuesday.

Terry Davis
      Participant

That’s the same one my neighbor uses at her business. Their great. Heck the oldest one she has lasted thru me and her son playing on it when we were teens. Lol I’ll be 32 on the 13th of this month. So yea they do hold up pretty well.

Terry Davis
      Participant

My dolly came in yesterday. I opened it today and tried to put BOB in. It doesn’t fit. They seem to be exactly the same size, one or the other, or maybe both are not perfectly round. Maybe I can press BOB into the dolly with force, I want to be careful so I don’t damage BOB. BOB isn’t as sturdy as the dolly. I’m thinking I might have to take my Dremel Tool and relieve the inside diameter of the dolly, or maybe I can use a heat gun on it to make it expand enough to slip in, especially with a lubricant.

With BOB empty, the dolly rolls with little effort, too easily. I think I will have to put down a mat or even better some carpet.

So, the experiment continues….

That’s the next step. Carve out a little of that dolly. If it’s a tight fit, great.

Woohoo bought my BOB yesterday. Put him together and trained. Wow huge difference between the wave master and BOB. The feel, the look, everything. Love this thing.

Ya the Bob is fucking fantastic. :) I swear by it. I do my ground work everyday now with the heavy bag and all of my stand up striking with the Bob. Glad to hear it made a huge difference in your training brother.

@grhutchings said:

Ya the Bob is fucking fantastic. :) I swear by it. I do my ground work everyday now with the heavy bag and all of my stand up striking with the Bob. Glad to hear it made a huge difference in your training brother.

HUGE difference. The first session with him I thought my hand was gonna break. Going from a soft padded wave master to bob made a big diff in the feel and hardness of the target. Yes I hit my brick but it doesn’t seem like enough when your training with soft crap. Don’t get me wrong the wave master is great if your tight on funds but get Bob and beat his ass. I’m glad I finally got one. It’s great to see a chin and a throat to hit. Kiss

Right on brother!! Practice on that BOB everyday.

Been a minute since I’ve been on the board due to time constraints but yes I try to hit bob everyday even if it’s only for a minute. Every morning before I leave the house for work I walk past bob look at him like he’s talking shit and hit him with a combo or two then walk away haha.

Martin Wilson
      Participant

Love beating the crap outta BOB. That’s why he always has that ugly scowl on his mug, he’s always getting the crap beat out of him.

Archie
      Participant

Yes indeed, and the key thing is to make him as realistic as possible. I of course put a shirt and shill cap on mine and colored in the eyes. He looks kinda freaky now. Haha

*trying to get my post count up again*

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve used both a Wavemaster and Bob and I have to say Bob is worth the money.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.