Some Questions About Module 1

Home Forums Welcome to the Legion! Some Questions About Module 1

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Damian,

I just received module 1 and have a few questions:

1. In addition to the bladed edge of hand, do you ever employ striking with the edge of the hand on the thumb side (with the thumb tucked under the palm)?

2. What is the best way to train to avoid telegraphing your moves?

3. When confronting your opponent, do you avoid looking into their eyes? I have heard in the past that it’s best to look at a person at center mass so that you can get an overall picture of the individual, but I’ve sometimes felt that looking into their eyes may give an indication of a hostile act about to take place.

4. In your video you talked about “covering” (chin tucked in, elbow pointed to the opponent, hacking away with the blade edge of the hand), what would you do to avoid having the opponent go for the wrist, thus pinning your arm in the cocked position so that you couldn’t strike?

5. When I was in the 5th grade (this is back in ’73-’74 I’m 46 now) I broke my right hand along the little finger side while in a school yard fight (Yes I was windmilling, hit them in the forehead and basically didn’t know what I was doing :D ). When I hand write for long periods of time the old injury sometimes will bother me even to this day. Anyway, when you strike with the bladed edge of the hand, is it along the whole area from the wrist to the bottom of the little finger, or is it sort of closer to the wrist? I just want to be able to properly condition the hand for striking with the bladed edge while taking into account the old injury.

Thanks for your time.

Ah, g’day mate, welcome to the forum.

I’m new to this too, but I’ll add my thoughts on what I have picked up from the first module. I also have a damaged right hand — broken bone and depressed pinky knuckle from a careless fist — and it still aggravates me at times.

1. I’ve never considered hitting like that till now… it feels like an awkward way to strike, but I just struck myself a few times and hitting the hand bone didn’t feel too promising, but hitting at the wrist joint felt solid. I’m not sure how I’d employ it… How would you strike with it? Like a right hook? A wide swing?

2. My favourite way is to stand in the interview position with arms folded, more weight on my front foot on the center line, with less weight on the back foot. It’s demonstrated in the module and it doesn’t look obvious at all. From that position I can drop step and give 3 lightning fast leading edge of hand strikes in a split second, followed by vertical edge of hand strikes, chin jab etc. The drop step is awkward at first (it’s all a bit awkward at first), but practice falling into it, getting the feel of falling, having your body mass behind the strikes. It generates a lot of power and won’t telegraph the initial strike. When I first started I could barely deliver two strikes in a decent amount of time without my arm popping out of joint and me gasping for air, so my speed and power has improved a lot. But be sure to warm up/stretch before getting into it, at least till your muscles strengthen.

3. Try to keep space. If they are at a distance, then you’ll have that full perspective. If they are close — a couple feet — or right in your grill, you’re not going to be able to see much more than their face anyway, and that’s when you’re in trouble. I’ve found that if someone is looking for a fight, they get right in my face and start talking shit. At that point I know I’m only a few seconds away from being punched. I can’t tell them to back off, and words on my part become useless, so I cease talking, make sure my hands are higher than theirs, assume the position and compose myself. Keep my chin down. So far all I have copped is verbal abuse. I’m not saying that method will prevent a fight, but I don’t see myself being able to reason with someone so brazen — who is usually backed by their goon squad — so if they ignore my warning to keep their distance, then I’m assuming they will strike me, so I prepare myself for it rather than getting confounded with a nose-to-nose yelling match.

4. Like grabbing the wrist? I’d try to be striking so damn hard and fast that they wouldn’t be able to grab my arm. If they grabbed my arm, I’d hit them with my free arm, or maybe apply pressure point on their thumb. Both arms? Drop step shoulder barge, head butt (mod 2), kick them in the groin, kick ankles, kick knees, knee them…

5. For me, I wouldn’t be afraid to be hitting them with the forearm bone, or elbow, or that meaty part of the hand near the wrist joint, or even the heel of hand if the angle isn’t too awkward for you. But closer towards the pinky joint feels a bit fragile. I can’t feel your pain, so I don’t know whether you want to be hitting stuff with your hand, it’s your choice. Hopefully with conditioning it will strengthen and not be so easily aggravated. Mine seems to be going alright. Don’t go too crazy on your sessions, you don’t wanna be completely buggered and have a crippled, aching hand the next day — you won’t be able to defend yourself at all!

Anyway, good luck. I’m sure Damian will reply soon and provide better illumination for you.

Cheers

The reason for question 1 is that I was wondering if it were realistic to deliver a somewhat modified “clothes line” strike, probably to the throat or the base of the nose. I’ve seen some training videos employ that technique, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts if the strike would even be realistic to pull off. In order deliver the thumb side chop, it seems that you would have to step off to the side of your opponent, rather than the straight line as depicted in the DVD.

Ooh. In Mod. 2 there’s hand yoke or web of hand blow, but the thumb isn’t retracted — it’s open hand — and it’s not a clothesline style, but it strikes the throat/neck and base of nose.

Guys, great answers, the only thing I can add is that the “clothes line” I’m assuming is done with the inside of the forearm across the neck/throat/base of skull.

This obviously depends on your distance and is much better suited for when you are closer to the target.

Distance and position. Void of any previous training or what your habits may be, we always work from the farthest distance possible. When we start to grapple we give up mobility and create vulnerability (yes this is the Judo/college wrestler talking).

Based on that principle, there are techniques higher up on the check list that provide power with less body commitment and more protection.

In module 10 Combat throws and take downs we use it a lot. In fact it is easy to knock someone cold in competition when you combine it with a head lock or koshi guruma judo throw.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.