Some questions....... – The Self Defense Company

Some questions…….

Home Forums Welcome to the Legion! Some questions…….

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

1) How much do you think size and strength plays in an altercation?? I think a lot, am I wrong?

2) I think the system I train in now is useful for law enforcement…strikes (basic punches and kicks), takedowns/throws, then positions and finishes..is there anything else i should add?

3) How important is it to hit and strike first in a street situation? I think very……. Thanks for your input…

1) How much do you think size and strength plays in an altercation?? I think a lot, am I wrong?
      All things equal the fight goes to the bigger stronger guy, it’s just plain physics. Hopefully luck (when preparation meets opportunity) comes into play.

2) I think the system I train in now is useful for law enforcement…strikes (basic punches and kicks), takedowns/throws, then positions and finishes..is there anything else i should add?
      For LEO I would only add hold downs and pins, I’m assuming tha’s what positions and finishes means. It’s all good and technique is what it is. I have to ask what are you doing tactically? When you’re interviewing a guy do you wait for him to attack, are you trying to block individual punches, do you have specific defense responses to specific attacks?

3) How important is it to hit and strike first in a street situation? I think very……. Thanks for your input..

VERY IMPORTANT. But if you position yourself correctly and draw him out…it won’t look like a first strike.

Great responses! As far as the tactics go; I used to train for specific defenses for specific attacks but have gone the opposite route in the last 6 years or so. So, no I wouldnt be blocking a single punch. Tell you the truth, I kind of think my response would be the same for a majority of empty hand attacks.

As far as waiting for an attack……..I think that’s what Steven Seagal does right???? In the movies….hahaha……..In the past Ive initiated contact the instant I felt uncomfortable or thought the guy/girl was mustering up the courage. I hope Im never too late, you know Im quite limited athletically.lol

I know you’re NOT limited athletically. That being said, the tactics of close quarters combat are the same for hand guns and empty hand. See target, attack target. Stop when target is no longer a threat.

Because we have created sports around the concept of combat it has confused the issue when it comes to self defense. Sports came out of self defense, sports don’t go into self defense.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.