What if someone is faster and trained? – The Self Defense Company

What if someone is faster and trained?

Home Forums Tactics and Training Questions What if someone is faster and trained?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I would be interested in seeing some strategies to employ against someone who is faster than you; who is also trained to fight; who might have a handgun.
      All of these can make several lessons.
      Then there can be lessons on combos of these too. Some younger and thus faster, who is ALSO trained to fight, and who is leveling a pistol at your head.

“El Flesh”

Well “El Flesh”, you’re obviously not training in the SDTS – because we cover all of this stuff. Your question that brings up a HUGE assumption or mistake that a lot of people who are into martial arts make – it’s not a sparring match.

In martial arts you’re conditioned to focus on SKILL because you’re forced into situations where speed, training, coordination and skill are huge factors. In some way those factors are important is self defense, but not like you think.

Self defense but self defense is more like firearms than fighting.

If this were a “gun fight” the person who wins is the one who hits their target and causes more injury first. For example, he may draw first and shoot you in the arm, but you draw second and put one through his skull – you win.

This is the “same thing.

You may face a guy who is faster and for some reason he gets the drop on you (but if you go through SDTS Module 1 – this will NEVER happen Laugh). He jabs you and then you haul off and knock him out cold with a black jack (SDTS Module 11). He hit you first, but you win.

Let’s say he decides to grapple you and you gouge out an eye…see what I mean.

There will always be someone faster and better trained. It’s the one with THE RIGHT TRAINING for the task at hand and the WILL and RESOURCES to follow through who wins.

Damian

James Goolsby
      Participant

Amen, brother!

I don’t think I’ve been in many situations where they were NOT faster and/or trained. Bottom line, like Damian said, there will always be someone better, faster, stronger, etc. You just have to make sure there is no one more committed. At the end of the day, know this… I’m going home to see my family no matter what it takes.

Stay safe.

With all the McDojo’s out there, there will always be some one “trained” in mma or other arts. In the SDTS you are shown the right tactics and the right “moves” to give you the advantage.

Dallas Williams
      Participant

All the more reason for preemptive striking. When you see that a physical confrontation is inevitable and you try to establish distance between you and your attacker but he keeps approaching and getting up in your face then by all means knock him the F out before he gets a chance to take advantage of his superior speed, strength, fighting skills, etc. Carl Cestari “Do your worst fast and first :) “!

James Goolsby
      Participant

@Dallas Williams said:

All the more reason for preemptive striking … Carl Cestari “Do your worst fast and first :) “!

Yes… the preemptive Chin Jab and/or Hand Yoke is a beautiful thing, my friends. Beautiful indeed. Laugh

I taught my Sgt. a few moves already. He got in a confrontation the other day with an out of control psyche patient. He deployed his baton, to which I’m sure the dude fully expected a “tennis” swing coming from that side, then he popped dude with a chin jab and took him off his feet. The baton never even left his shoulder! After it was all over he came to me and said, “You weren’t kidding, that shit really works!” I just smiled. Thank you once again [Damian Ross]! Wink

Scott Cain
      Participant

One of the things that rings in my head from MODULE 1 – the very first module – is Damian saying “you’re striking FIRST”

Yeah, [James Goolsby]. It’s really amazing. Almost too good to be true.

This is the biggest problem we have, it’s like EVERY SWEARS by their stuff and no one really can test it because it was built in the dojo and a small percentage of people actually have to use force.

What if you go against someone who is well versed in SDTS and is bigger and stronger? Also I think Damian Ross should be secret character in a Mortal Kombat game jk, but that would be cool.

Anonymous
      Inactive

In Police training we learned what’s called a survival or winning mentality combined with tactical and defensive training. That’s why you need to stay current, stay fresh and be mentally switched on. In case you do go hands on you need to be confidant that you’re going to neutralize that threat. You need to be goal oriented. I’ve seen how some humans crumble once they receive force and i’ve seen others who grow instantly violent. You never know how someone will react based on how they look. You need to rely on your training, visualize an outcome, and commit to your movements. If you cannot disable your enemy keep in mind Tactical repositioning. Creating barriers and distance between you and the threat. Scanning for weapons of opportunity. Or means of escape. It’s not about getting into fist fights. These techniques aren’t taught to teach people to be better bullies. It’s a skillset required for survival. As police, firearms were ideal for the situation where it was known subject had the ability intent and means to outdo me in a hand to hand situation. I found giving assertive commands such as ‘hands up hands up’ or ‘keep your hands where I can see them’ often times made them freeze momentarily. That gives you a brief opportunity to strike first while they’re not focused on defending. It’s healthy to be aware of threats at all levels and have scenerios planned in your mind how those encounters could possibly play out. Have a plan of success already thought out and problem solved. This greatly increases your chances of survival.

This was an awesome response in regards to mindset. Thank you for touching on it. 90% of combatives is mindset while the other 10% let’s call skill.

You hit the nail on the head talking about having a game plan and playing out scenarios in your mind. State access and state management are paramount when it comes to being successful in the moment of truth. Thats a much larger post to discuss all of that.

I also loved your tactical repositioning. I follow south narcs concept of contact management.

Again a great response my friend.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.