Chin Jab, vs. Tiger Claw – The Self Defense Company

Chin Jab, vs. Tiger Claw

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      James Goolsby
      Participant

[Damian Ross],

Okay, chief, this may be a stupid question, but is there a difference between the Heel of Hand we use for the Chin Jab and the Tiger Claw? It seems like you use the names interchangeably, but then there is the lesson where we combine the Chin Jab with an eye gouge, so I wanted to clarify if the Tiger Claw is the addition of the fingers like that, or is it all pretty much the same thing?

Thanks.

J

Distance [James Goolsby]. The Tiger Claw/ Heel of hand is just thrown from farther away.

Thanks for clarifying that [Damian Ross] I was wondering the same thing. So basically up close it’s a HOH bc you really can’t wind up when in trapping range.

Or extreme close range…(Trapping is for fur).

Trapping is for fur lol ok now I remember the YouTube vid

Laugh [Archie Thomas].

I really can’t stress how stupid trapping is, or even the notion of attempting this. Believe me, I spent years in a system that was associated with Francis Fong Wing Chung Academy.

The reason are simple:

If you can’t block…you can’t trap. The most you can do is parry, slip and cover.

In the street you’re either hitting or getting hit.

Unlike the ring, if you clinch you’ll probably go to the ground, well – you don’t have to worry about trapping any more.

When people fight for real they close the gap FAST.

Trapping requires you to either stay still or retreat. It also employs finite motor skills and shifts your focus away from your enemy as you try to chase his hands.

It sucks.

The only time I’ve ever seen it really work is in trapping drills.

The only time anything LIKE that has ever worked is in the ring where you would parry an opponent’s punch. Again, this is in the RING where you know the guy in front of you is going to fight you in a specific manner and there is no question about his intent to fight.

People like the idea of trapping because like all other fancy martial arts moves that don’t work, it makes you think you can control your attacker with out hurting him. It makes you look cool to wrap someone up without even hitting them.

But we know better.

James Goolsby
      Participant

[Damian Ross]

@Damian Ross said:

Hell Yeah… Now THAT deserves a t-shirt!!! Smile

Laugh duLaughly noted.

Anonymous
      Inactive

In the different arts and I am studying and in Krav Maga which I currently study to get out and train with others, well they have certain grabs and traps. I have found that it is far more effect to strike hard and fast and with force, because as Damian said hit the man not the target and when they are coming in when we are doing the multiple attack drill I tend to hit and move and do what I can, but the traps and holds do not work.

I have learned more from this system in one week then I have in my 30 years of martial arts, not saying it was all a waste of time but for reality this system is the best.

James Goolsby
      Participant

[David Litts],

That’s pretty much what I got with Krav as well. There is some great material there, don’t get me wrong, but a lot of the time they are focused on the “weapon” and not the man, whether that weapon be a grab, punch, knife, gun, etc. I think if they understood the concept of only dealing with the weapon long enough to clear it and then tuning their attention to the one delivering the weapon, they would be in a much better position.

And your comment about learning more in one week? Welcome to Insider, my friend! Smile

Hey, I’m just glad you guys found this thing of ours.

When I first started in the SDTS, which, I don’t even think we called it anything, I remember the light going on in my head. I thought back to all of the training and all of my life experience and thinking the answers are just right there the whole time, staring at me.

This thing of ours enables you to focus your natural aggression with clarity. Just cut through the BS and get on with it.

Besides, how many hours a week to you have to train? 2, 4, 6?!?!

Even if you had that time – trapping, small locks, flow drills…WTF??? They don’t work. Not in reality, not against combative and determined subjects.

Welcome to the Inside [David Litts]. Have fun tuning your friends up at Krav.

PS. Don’t tell them, let them find out for themselves.

@James Goolsby said:

[Damian Ross]

@Damian Ross said:

Hell Yeah… Now THAT deserves a t-shirt!!! Smile

Not gonna lie. I would buy that shirt myself.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.