Four direction – The Self Defense Company

Four direction

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      salvatore Andaloro
      Participant

In the chapter on the 4 directions, when the attacker attacks on Angle1 with a blow, I move to the left. Do not risk being hit?
      thankWink

James Goolsby
      Participant

Salvatore,

To put not too fine a point on it, yes, you risk being hit. Then again, you risk being hit any time you’re in a fight; it comes with the territory. If you are uncomfortable with the direction, try it a different way when you drill. I believe that is part of what [Damian Ross] means by training honestly. Your body is simply going to go whichever direction is its natural instinct.

You have to do what is comfortable for you, not because some so-called expert said so. That is what has gotten traditional martial arts into trouble. No one ever asks (or trains!) if a technique is practical in real combat. They assume it will work because their sensei said so. I was guilty of this mindset for years and, to be perfectly honest, it almost got me severely hurt in the line of duty when as suspect didn’t succumb to my deadly “iron fists of dragon’s fury” bullshit. Dude about took my head off while I stood there dumbfounded as to why it didn’t work like it did in the dojo.

Again, yes, you could get hit. Remember, though, as Damian has pointed out several times… there is a WORLD of difference being hit while your opponent is retreating than when he is attacking. Bottom line, step whatever direction you feel best and then “attack the man” (i.e., start beating the living hell out of him!) Whatever short, defensive shots he gets in while trying to defend himself from you won’t really matter; you should be able to take it and keep going. Just stay on him and don’t let up until the threat is over.

Hope this helps.

j

salvatore Andaloro
      Participant

@James Goolsby said:

Salvatore,

To put not too fine a point on it, yes, you risk being hit. Then again, you risk being hit any time you’re in a fight; it comes with the territory. If you are uncomfortable with the direction, try it a different way when you drill. I believe that is part of what [Damian Ross] means by training honestly. Your body is simply going to go whichever direction is its natural instinct.

You have to do what is comfortable for you, not because some so-called expert said so. That is what has gotten traditional martial arts into trouble. No one ever asks (or trains!) if a technique is practical in real combat. They assume it will work because their sensei said so. I was guilty of this mindset for years and, to be perfectly honest, it almost got me severely hurt in the line of duty when as suspect didn’t succumb to my deadly “iron fists of dragon’s fury” bullshit. Dude about took my head off while I stood there dumbfounded as to why it didn’t work like it did in the dojo.

Again, yes, you could get hit. Remember, though, as Damian has pointed out several times… there is a WORLD of difference being hit while your opponent is retreating than when he is attacking. Bottom line, step whatever direction you feel best and then “attack the man” (i.e., start beating the living hell out of him!) Whatever short, defensive shots he gets in while trying to defend himself from you won’t really matter; you should be able to take it and keep going. Just stay on him and don’t let up until the threat is over.

Hope this helps.

j

Thank…..

Shoot [James Goolsby] – I may have to retire. Laugh

Perfect response.

James Goolsby
      Participant

[Damian Ross],

Ha! Thanks. It’s all you, boss. You’re just an excellent teacher.

Besides, if you retire, who’s going to beat the hell out of Pete? LOL

Pete get’s his shots in when he can.Laugh

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.