Introduction – The Self Defense Company

Introduction

Home Forums Welcome to the Legion! Introduction

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Brandon H
      Participant

Hey All,

I just signed up for the instructor program the other day and am looking forward add the system in my knowledge bank and offer it as a program in my gym. I recently separated from a gym that I have been with for ~23 years now and have started my own (https://www.modernbujutsu.org/). I just started the website back in December so it’s still getting some updates.

Anyway, my training background started with TKD (ITF style) when I was about 6 years old where I trained off and on. I finally committed to training at the approximate age of 9 and achieved my 1st Dan Blackbelt at the age of 12. From there I went on and trained numerous other systems and still continue to learn other systems whenever possible.

My current background:
      Seiyo-Ryu Aikibujutsu, Shodai Soke / Founder
      5th Dan, Tae Kwon Do, Master
      4th Dan, Modern Arnis, Master
      3rd Dan, Hapkido, Instructor
      Assistant Maestro (Blue Shirt), Derobio Eskrima Jungle Style
      2nd Dan, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Instructor
      1st Dan, San Shu Kai Budo Karate, Instructor
      1st Dan, Daito-Hakko Jujutsu, Instructor
      Instructor, Muay Thai
      Instructor, Kickboxing
      Instructor, Boxing

If you take note, I started my own system in 2015, mostly for the same reasons many have stated here. A lot of modern martial systems are primarily sportive in nature and are not what I would consider to be a true martial art. A true martial art is self defense first, everything else is secondary. Even some of the more notable true martial arts styles have become more sportive in recent years like FMA with all of their drills and unnecessary curriculum holders. Most systems, if you are looking to boil it down to what works only has very little material that is truly viable (and easily picked up), the rest are just place holders to extend the curriculum. Yes, it is true that you could use some of the fancier techniques, but the time it takes to sufficiently learn them and to apply them under stress is vastly disproportionate to the other basics that are still quite effective.

I found Damien’s system around 2019 and while we have some different stylistic approaches, it looks like we agree on a lot of things so I wanted to take a dive into learning what he had to offer. So far, I like how ‘basic’ it is in the sense that it is designed just to work and will work for most people with a limited amount of training time. I have wanted to take on the instructor program for the last couple years, but never did because something would always come up. Finally I got the chance to recently and am looking forward to learning more about the system, as well as the ability to teach it.

While I am running a martial arts school on the side, my full time job is as an active Law Enforcement Officer. Unfortunately, while it varies from state to state on the defensive tactics requirements, our state only requires 4 annual hours of DT. Meanwhile what you learn at most academies is pathetic. I am primarily looking to target the first responder community and others that are serious about learning. My goal is to have regular classes as well as seminars.

Brandon…VERY GLAD you found us and you joined the team. Thank you and I’m looking forward to working with you.

Brandon H
        Participant

Thanks, I am really looking forward to learning more of and teaching the system that you have put together.

Welcome to the Legion Brandon! You bring a lot of martial sports experience AND real world application! This will for sure benefit everyone, I look forward to interacting with you!

Brandon H
        Participant

Thanks Josh,

I was fortunate enough that most of my time learning was with like minded instructors. Martial arts are for self defense, not sport, so even my TKD experience was relatively decent in comparison to what is widely taught today. For instance, we learned forms and what not, but it was very rarely done in class, more so just to give someone something to play around with outside of class. Inside of class we actually did proper striking and some minor throwing techniques.

With that being said, even the TKD I learned back then looks like it pales in comparison to the SDC system because it is governed by different organizational guidelines. The BJJ I learned back then was also a completely different animal than what it is today. In the real world, I have almost exclusively used Aikibujutsu and Hapkido and it seems to just shut people down right away.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to working with everyone!

Joshua Earl
      Participant

I would love your thoughts on BJJ ground game. Do you think it is beneficial to train in BJJ on top of SDC?

Hey Josh – I responded to you question on the ELITE WOW 14…but I’ll do it again here…

I often suggest some form of grappling to supplement SDTS…it develops toughness, you won’t freak out when someone grabs you or is on top of you and it will allow you to maintain your position while you strike, gouge and rip…as for the grappling “skills” you really only need a halfway decent DEFENSE which can be developed rather quickly.

That said….BJJ is OK but it’s not my top. If I were to rank them…

1. Judo
      2. Wrestling
      3. BJJ

This is a cut and paste on an article I wrote a while ago…

Why Judo?
      July 22, 2017, by Damian (Instructor)
      I’m often asked what martial art should I add to my SDTS training and my answer is simple: JUDO.

If you don’t know me I was a Div 1 collegiate wrestler, I have rank in Brazilian Jiujutsu and of course, I’m a second degree blackbelt in Judo.

So why Judo?

Position

Judo teaches you to stay on your feet, keep your balance against a much larger and stronger attacker. Maintaining your balance in a fight in critical to enable you to keep mobile and keep STRIKING (or stabbing, or bludgeoning..and EVEN DRAWING YOUR FIREARM).

On the ground Judo still requires you to fight for a position of dominance. I will note that SPORT JUDO allows you to stall to and get put back on your feet – so for self defense it is CRITICAL that instead you fight to PIN or SUBMIT << Don’t get lazy. The problem with BJJ is that it encourages you to go to the ground. Forget what “moves” or take downs you practice – it’s the end result and many BJJ fighters use those takedowns to enter into ground fighting. Going to the ground on purpose is a HUGE mistake since the reality of weapons, multiple attackers or dealing with much LARGER and STRONGER attackers will eliminate most BJJ techniques which are designed to work on someone who is roughly your size or smaller. Wrestling offers similar problems. First of all, the most popular takedown is the double leg. This puts you at a disadvantage because you’re literally THROWING yourself to the ground. Now, don’t get me wrong >>> I have done this successfully in the street (many times) however, I am NOT your average grappler and as I get older facing younger, stronger and larger opponents I would run into a TON of problems. However – with a good Judo base, I can still stay on my feet and do what I need to do.

If your average wrestler or MMA practitioner attempted a leg attack in the street against a larger, stronger opponent they will get crushed.

Also, wrestlers don’t have a problem giving up their back on the ground and everyone who has ever seen an MMA fight knows this is a bad idea and in the street its ten times worse.

NEVER CHOOSE THE GROUND.

We don’t roll on mats in the street – cement, debris, rocks, etc will CHEW YOU UP. When on the ground you’re best bet is to GET UP as fast as possible << practice this in your training. Urgency Judo trains you to act with a sense of urgency. One false move, one misstep will end the match. This trains your mind to move with purpose and urgency. This is the EXACT way you need to approach self defense. Wrestling and BJJ, while sometimes require urgency – generally preach patience. WAIT for your opponent to make a mistake, create openings – again, this happens in Judo and wrestling but at a typically FASTER pace than BJJ. Time in Training For you self defense purposes, you DON’T need to be great at Judo – all you need is to build up a good defense which can happen in months, not years. If your first SDTS attack doesn’t do what you need, you have a better chance of keeping your balance, stay on your feet and continue to FIGHT or ESCAPE. But what about GI or no GI? You can grip a t-shirt to perform many Judo techniques and you’ll be able to STILL maintain your balance…even if your attacker’s naked (hey, I’m not judging – shit happens). Again – this is all about SELF DEFENSE. Keep your balance, and TAKE GROUND.

Joshua Earl
        Participant

Yes! I was thinking the same thing that Judo makes way more sense in the real world. It always annoyed me how BJJ practitioners think there art is the above all end all because of the Royce Gracie legacy in UFC. Why the hell would you want to go to the ground EVER if you don’t have to. And if you do you better get your ass up as fast as you can. Thank’s Damian. Well put.

Brandon H
        Participant

I agree with Damian on his points. My only exception would be placing BJJ above wrestling because of the in depth knowledge you will get from BJJ (if it’s not sportive BJJ) that you likely won’t get from wrestling.

Judo / Jujutsu is great because it teaches you to stay on your feet as much as possible, but gives you some ground game if you need it. It also teaches you to be more aggressive and assertive and to gain dominance, rather than working from an inferior position, which is essential in a real encounter. With that being said, you don’t really need to know a lot of ground grappling, and most of what you can do standing up, you can do in a ground grapple as well. Striking, joint locks, etc.

It will also be a learning experience to know what not to do. Just because it works on the mat, does not mean it will pass realistic scrutiny. I have warned our MMA fighters about this for years and them being MMA fighters all thought they knew what was best and completely blew me off… until 2 of them ended up getting stabbed in separate instances and one of them passed as a result. They have never questioned me since then, and it sucks that it had to be a lesson like that.

Basically learn ground grappling so you know how to remove yourself from that position. While you are there, explore good ways to create a base, and how you would utilize your current skill set. How would you punch or kick from whatever position you are in? Is it viable to strike in this position at all? Do I really want to use closed guard? and so on.

Train so everything meshes together. Strikes compliment grappling, and grappling compliments striking. They are 2 distinct skill sets, but should not remain separated. Train them together so you can utilize them efficiently together.

Joshua Earl
        Participant

I think it would be a really good thing to pressure test SDTS. Although I know that most of the material cannot be because it is brutal.

@Brandon – thanks for posting that and I agree…I also look at this from a perspective of talent and competition…meaning, there’s a wrestling team in every high school in the US…not a BJJ team. So just from the sheer numbers you’re more likely to run into someone in the US who knows how to REALLY roll than someone who has that level or proficiency in BJJ – again, great points and well said.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.