Introductions – The Self Defense Company

Introductions

Home Forums Welcome to the Legion! Introductions

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

This can be a great thread for people to introduce themselves into. If we want to grow the community, knowing who is in the community is important.

My name is Joshua Caywood, I am (as of writing) a level 1 instructor with the SDC. I served 8 years in the US Army (airborne infantry), 4 years as a security professional, 3 years as a tradesman, 3 years in education. I am also a certified as a firearms instructor and a wilderness/urban survival skills instructor. I have a BA in military history and am 1/3 through my MA in military studies – irregular warfare.

My journey in practical self defense is probably like a lot of yours. I first learned how to scrap with having a twin brother (boys eh?), then my uncle who has a few black belts started showing us some stuff, then I wrestled in high school, then I started dabbling in bjj and aikido (mostly watched videos and practiced on my poor little brother). From there I started to realize the fancy things that looked cool in a controlled environment didn’t work, I tried so many “cool” wrist twist throws, etc, on my little brother (he’s lucky I didn’t break his wrist) but he never “flipped” like in the videos… disarms, blocks, etc, got the same treatment.

As a teenager I had always felt comfortable that I could “handle my own” but I had an experience while working security dealing with a mentally I’ll individual that made me realize I could scrap really well, but I didn’t really understand self defense against a determined threat. I immediately set out to remedy that and to make a much longer story short I found Damian and Carl Cestari (back when it was close-combat-video.com). I saw the truth and the light and never looked back, that was approximately 2004/2005. I practiced off and on for about 18 years, always wanting to be an instructor but never finding the “right time”, last year I decided the time was “now” and made it happen.

I look forward to growing as an instructor and in helping to grow this community.

Joshua
      “When you’re prepared, you’re not afraid.”

Great to have you on the team Josh. I’ve been in contact with Josh for about a decade now and I’m extremely honored he’s here. He’s an excellent resource either in person or online. Josh brings a lot of experience and intelligence to the table and is one of those guys who will be carrying the mantle to the next gen.

Joshua Earl
        Participant

hey Joshua, Joshua here. Also a twin and would practice on my brother. We have a very similar story. I have trained in many martial arts including being an Uchideshi in Aikido and did some BJJ. U.S. Army OIF 1 veteran as well. I have always looked for the true essence of martial arts which is self defense which is how I found SDTS. I too want to become and instructor. I look forward to hearing about your journey. LET’S DO THIS!!!!

Welcome to the truth brother! If you have any questions about this stuff, me personally, or my other skill sets, feel free to reach out. I also have a couple shows with Damian on Kill or Be Killed show where I jump into my history and training a bit more. There are some great shows on there! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A7B25ndTXo8&t=697s (My survival school one)

Joshua Earl
        Participant

hey Joshua, Joshua here. Also a twin and would practice on my brother. We have a very similar story. I have trained in many martial arts including being an Uchideshi in Aikido and did some BJJ and trained in many martial arts including krav maga under the chief US instructor David Kahn. U.S. Army OIF 1 veteran as well. I have always looked for the true essence of martial arts which is self defense which is how I found SDTS. I too want to become and instructor. I look forward to hearing about your journey. LET’S DO THIS!!!!

Great to have you here @joshua earl – really glad you found the Legion.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.