KOBK PodCast Vince Young Sucker Punch?!? – The Self Defense Company

KOBK PodCast Vince Young Sucker Punch?!?

Home Forums Self Defense Current Events and Culture KOBK PodCast Vince Young Sucker Punch?!?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I like how you dismissed the notion of him being sucker punched. The one guy had been swinging for a while by the time he clocked Vince Young.

I actually really appreciate the video of the fight because there is a lot done “wrong” and clearly shows the evolution of an altercation. Rather than going from 0 to 100 it progresses in a rather measured way. Also, you can see the different reactions of all the people involved including how bystanders reacted as well.

Right! This is what happens… words, pushing, shoving until BAM!

This is something that many CCW ignore. When during any of this would you be able (or justified) to draw your weapon?

You could make an argument that something was said… and you were in fear for your life, but looking at the video…when would you have the opportunity? What would indicate that this was a matter for life and death?

As someone who is a firearms instructor and carries responsibly, I wouldn’t classify any of it as justified for drawing a firearm. You have talked about this a few times, but it always amazes me how many people rely solely on their gun rather than let be an element of a defensive plan. I had an infantry buddy who refused to learn ANY sort of H2H because his philosophy was “I have a gun, if they get that close then I guess I’ll just die”. It was crazy.

This CCW discussion also brings up another point about being a responsible armed citizen. A big part of that is training. In a study from 2019 it was found that less than 1% (yes, one percent!) of Texas CCW holders trained beyond the LTC certifying standard (which is not difficult). The study considered “training” as shooting a minimum of 100rds in a given 12 month period! That’s insane.

It’s complacency and denial.
      I would venture to guess that you would find the same percentage of cops who train beyond having to qualify.

We’re literally designed to be lazy. Stop hunting when you’re full, no need to make a fire or find shelter when you don’t need it.

It’s hard to always push yourself to do more than the minimum – to earn comfort.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.