Post Your Training Regiment – The Self Defense Company

Post Your Training Regiment

Home Forums Tactics and Training Questions Post Your Training Regiment

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

On the suggestion of Instructor Caywood…please share your current routines…I’ll go first…

Damian –
      The purpose of my training now is to be the best 100 year old ass kicker as possible. MY training has combatives undertones of rest – recovery, but I also need to pay attention and avoid injury. Now in my fifties, I realize that a torn muscle or damaged joint can set me back a long time.

This purpose in training is in start contrast to my competitive days which all had a BUILD, ENDURANCE, SUSTAIN and RECOVERY phase. This is less intense…but pretty much EVERY DAY. I’ve taken about 6-8 days off all year. The workouts go from about an hour to two. But no longer.

Keeping it real – pretty much every day, I don’t want to work out. But I hate myself when I don’t and I can’t enjoy my day without doing. So I force myself to get off my ass and do something. Somedays go fine…somedays not so much. I’ve been working out since I was 7 so I have a pretty good idea of what my body and mind needs. I’ve also been training in combatives and combative sport as long as I can remember…so my neural pathways are set – whether I like it or not.

Below is a general outline. Sometimes I just do push-ups, pull-ups and hit the dummy or heavy bag. I get bored too…

Day 1 – Lift – Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, abs, neck
      Warm up pull weight sled backwards 100 yard, pull weight sled forward 100 yards
      Chest – 2 exercises 5 sets, 5 reps each – Full recovery between
      Shoulders – 2 exercises 5 sets, 5 reps each – Full recovery between
      Triceps – 2 exercises 5 sets, 5 reps each – Full recovery between
      During triceps I superset neck (head harness – 10 up and down x 10 rotate left x rotate right) and abs – 10 leg raises

Sometimes I drop set the last set of the last exercise on the body part.

Day 2 – Cardio
      1/2 mile walk, 25 set 1min/30 work rest run, 1/2 mile walk

Sometimes I do a 10×10 interval bodyweight interval session – 10 exercises, 10 sets, 10 seconds work, 10 seconds rest
      Sometimes I hit the dummy or heavy bag.
      Sometimes I don’t do anything else after the run.

Day 3 – Back and Biceps
      10 sets of 6 reps alternating pull up and chin up
      Back – 2 exercises 5 sets, 5 reps each – Full recovery between
      Biceps – 2 exercises 5 sets, 5 reps each – Full recovery between
      During Biceps I superset neck (head harness – 10 up and down x 10 rotate left x rotate right) and abs – 10 leg raises

Day 4 – Cardio
      1/2 mile walk, 25 set 1min/30 work rest run, 1/2 mile walk

Sometimes I do a 10×10 interval bodyweight interval session – 10 exercises, 10 sets, 10 seconds work, 10 seconds rest
      Sometimes I hit the dummy or heavy bag.
      Sometimes I don’t do anything else after the run.

Day 5 – Legs
      Back Squat – 5×5
      Deadlift – 5×5 (alternate Power Cleans)
      Lunges or Chalice Squats 5×5
      Reverse Hyper Extensions 5 sets, super set with Weight Belt Walk for 50 yards (just putting a weight attached to your waist, the same thing you use for weighted dips)

Day 6 – Cardio and Combatives

Almost forgot, at the end of each lifting session I hang on the anti-gravity
      table for several minutes… hopefully until my spine decompresses… which depends on how relaxed I can get.

START OVER.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.