Question about how to clear the handgun? – The Self Defense Company

Question about how to clear the handgun?

Home Forums Tactics and Training Questions SDTS Module 8: Weapons Defense Question about how to clear the handgun?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Dallas Williams
      Participant

In handgun defense how exactly do we know when clearing the weapon before we attack whether to hook and clear the gun and hold on to it as we strike or to simply clear it with a push and attack?

Dallas Williams
      Participant

How exactly do we know when clearing the handgun whether we hook the gun as we clear it and hold on to it as we attack or clear it out of the way with a push and attack?

Georgios T
      Participant

@grhutchings1980

This is a great question. The key things you’re looking at is position of the gun and distance of the attacker. If you are being grabbed, arm is around you and gun pressed into your head or throat, the closer distance calls for the hooking motion if the gun is positioned on that side of your throat or head. If it’s to the opposite side, the push and attack method works. When I mention the sides you’ll understand because it becomes a very instinctive response. If I’m facing you and have the gun pushed into the center of my throat or slightly to my left it’s more natural for me to hook. If the gun is slightly to my right side the hooking won’t work and I end up pushing it away. If the attacker is at a distance from you I will use the “push” and attack defense. Hope this is clear. If not, in the module defense against weapons, lesson 7 does a great job explaining it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.