Makiwara – The Self Defense Company

Makiwara

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      James Goolsby
      Participant

[Damian Ross],

I’m getting ready to start putting together a makiwara stand and had a few questions…

Where did you get the metal base that your board is inserted in? Is this something I can purchase commercially or did you just have it made? Do you think a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement would do the same trick?

Also, any idea where I might pick up some of those leather sections with the eyelets you have tied on there? Seems like it would be a good balance to the rougher sections of rope, gi belt, etc.

And finally, what do you have under the tape for the knee section? I figure it is some kind of pad or something, but it looked a bit thin. I wasn’t sure if it was just a piece of foam or what.

I can’t wait to get this thing built and start pounding the crap out of it! Laugh

I got those from Okazaki Sensei in the Philadelphia area but I don;t think he sells them anymore.

If you google “Makiwara Base” you’ll see a ton of stuff.

Yep that’s a pad under the base – thin canvas with some foam rubber.

JDNichols
      Participant

That bag works. Only problem is the guy in the video has it mounted against a wall…BIG NO NO. Plus he hits it like a 3rd grader.

I think James is looking for something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MkFSo9rFY8

JDNichols
      Participant

I agree Damian, NO wall mounting unless you are into joint replacement. That bag is good to mount on a 2”x8” you can screw some hooks on the back side of the 2”x8” hook the grommets over the hooks then lay the pad on the front side of the 2’x8” you can use two 4”x6” x3/8’’ angles to mount the board, sandwich the board between the angles 6’ side and bolt together, use the 4’ side to bolt to the floor. It will be nice and flexible unlike mounting to a wall. Another thing you can do with the bag is mount it to BOB’s back using a small ratchet strap (Ratchet on the front side of BOB away from you) the needed flexibility is built into BOB so you don’t need to worry joint damage like you would if you mounted it to a wall but you still get the conditioning benefits. For uppercuts just place some short boards under the back of the base to create an angle, to work you shins move the bag down on the mounting pole add a trap strap to keep the bottom of the bag against the pole( don’t forget to put the ratchet away from you, or you will remember the second time ouch. When done just remove and store. BOB is more than just another pretty face lol.

James Goolsby
      Participant

Thanks guys,

This is all great advice and exactly what I was looking for.

[JDNichols], that’s a great idea about mounting it to my BOB. I hadn’t thought of that.

Thanks.

JDNichols
      Participant

James you’re welcome, that’s what this forum is all about, helping each other and sharing ideas. It would be interesting to know how many combined years of experience we have on this forum. Each of us come from different walks of life, different skill sets and many layers of life experience add that together and you have a winning team.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I found some leather with islets at Michael s Craft stores here in the Atlanta area, so maybe stores will carry them where you are. This module brouhgt me back to my Hung Garr and Iron Shirt training days, which the way they did it was much more rough, but I truly believe Damian is teaching the right way to do it and his way will save you from a lot of injuries that I deal with now. Thanks for a Great Module Boss, and some of the sound effects were great. Laughing is good during training.

James Goolsby
      Participant

Thanks, David… I forgot all about Michael’s. There’s actually one near where I work so I’ll give them a look.

Why no wall mounting? Would it be ok to have a pad behind it if it’s wall mounted? I did that once a few weeks ago and really didn’t notice anything hurting such as joints. But I’m sure if I missed it would hurt like hell lol.

It just has to move [Archie Thomas]. The problem I found it easier to mount it in the floor because the harder I hit it, it really didn’t matter. You just need to make sure that when you hit it, you don’t get a sharp, hard pain in your elbow.

Then you’re doing damage – not the good kind.

Yea I realized the move part about a month ago I forgot the extra pad an dislocated my pinky at the knuckle in the middle of the finger. Hurt like hell but healed pretty quick so I’ve backed off the bricks a little bit, on that hand anyway ;-)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.